Along the coast at Porto Torres
After passing the first city beaches, we reach the northernmost point of Porto Torres. Here we find an iron monument that represents a large anchor, dedicated to the fallen of the Battleship Rome, sunk in the Asinara Gulf during the Second World War.
The church was built around 1850, in limestone with a single nave; its white walls remind the houses of the Greek islands and stand out against the blue of the sea. The name of Balai “Vicino” is due to the fact that this is not the only church in the area, but it is the closest to Porto Torres.
The walk is very relaxing and we meet several people: walkers like us or joggers.
This is the church of Santu Bainzu Ischabizzaddu (“decapitated Saint Gavino”) or Balai Lontano, built in the place where, for tradition, San Gavino died.
It is believed that the building has taken the place of an older church.